You will need:
2 medium onions (chopped)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp flour
1 litre hot chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cream
Salt & pepper
1. Chop the mushrooms and onions.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, and then sweat the onions and garlic for 5 mins (do not brown)
3. Add mushrooms and cook on high heat for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Sprinkle in the flour, stir and mix well, make sure mushrooms are well coated
5. Pour in hot chicken stock and bring to boil. Add bay leaf and simmer 10 mins.
6. Remove the bay leaf and leave to cool for a few minutes (if you use a hand blender, you don’t have to let it cool much
7. Using processor/hand blender, blend till smooth. The ‘magic wand’ things work wonderfully.
8. Season with salt & pepper, reheat until boiling, then stir in cream
For an even smoother soup, you can run it through a fine mesh sieve before serving (sifting constantly reduces clogging). For a fancy holiday appetizer version of this soup, I run it through a sieve and finally fry some extra mushrooms in butter to add into the soup before serving